what am I thinking?!??!

my preparations and thoughts as I prepare to compete at Primal Quest '06

Thursday, June 15, 2006

where is the fun?

On Tuesday I was talking to Marlene and she made a comment about how she hasn't been playing full out in life. That things that should be fun, hadn't been fun. I realized that this was true for Primal Quest in the last few weeks as well. I've forgotten that it's supposed to be fun - that I'm doing it because it's fun. Instead, the stress of packing and final gear checks has made it work.

Since Tuesday I've put the fun back in. Now I'm looking forward to racing with my amazing teammates, to enjoying the landscape we'll be travelling through, and having a great time doing all the cool parts of the race. (How did I forget the horse back riding, ropes, canyoneering, river swimming... all the super fun stuff??) This is a much better place to be than in Stressville.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:38 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't worry, Beth, that's pretty much how these big races always go. Guess what... it gets even LESS fun the days leading up to the race. The travel, the gear checks, the skills checks, the packing and repacking of everything, the 100 last-minute emergencies that need to be taken care of... it all sucks. I hate the days right before a big race.

    The good news is, once the race starts, everything becomes good again. The starting gun signals such a relief that all the preparation crap is out of the way. The fun returns, and you remember why you signed up to do this thing in the first place. Which is not to say there won't be times during the race where things are less than fun, because of course there will be, but at least they'll be ADVENTUROUS times of less than fun!

    Good luck to you and your team!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home