what am I thinking?!??!

my preparations and thoughts as I prepare to compete at Primal Quest '06

Thursday, July 13, 2006

some random things

It is really hard to try to write a race report for a race that took nine days. By day five, it seemed like the things that had happened the first day were part of another lifetime. I just don't know how to tell it all. So, more pictures and a few random comments.

Sand sucks. Shoes designed to be lightweight and breathable really suck in the sand. When you get about 1/4 cup of sand in each shoe, your shoe is essentially a full size too small. Nevertheless, with good foot care, you can come out of it with minimal blisters.


Try to avoid scratching your corneas. Try harder to not get those scratches infected and develop an ulcer. Who knew you could have an ulcer in your eye!?!

I didn't take a single painkiller for the entire race. I didn't take any after the race either. It wasn't really a plan, but I did decide that if it wasn't hurting that much, that I would just deal with it. I knew once I took something, I'd have to keep taking it until the race was done. The brain deals with pain in funny ways.



I can ride while sleeping. I can paddle while sleeping. I can walk while sleeping. None of them are terribly efficient while sleeping. I can sleep anywhere.



The view up to a traverse line that is 2000' above the desert floor is a very intimidating thing. Once you're up there though, it's not nearly so bad. And, as I turns out, it's super fun to fly through the air with the greatest of ease.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:27 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    More pictures of Beth's team at PQ 2006, as well as other Texas and Louisiana teams, can be found here:

    http://www.kipley.com/pq2006/index.html

     
  • At 12:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oat Whitney said...
    Hey Beth great job to you and your team. By the way this is Oat, I met you and Pete and the breakfast joint in town before the start of the race. Would love to chat with you and your team sometime about possibly a backup roll in case of injury or some other forseen event where you would need to add someone last minute. Would be easy for me to go down to New Mexico and meet Pete for a training day. Let me know what you think, and if you may know of other people that are looking for a teammates. Once again Beth great job to you and your team, tell Pete I said hello.

    oatfield.whitney@gmail.com

     
  • At 11:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why didn't you poast the picture of you passed out where you can see the drool? And by the way, your feet were still twiching too.
    I LOVE YOU ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home