what am I thinking?!??!

my preparations and thoughts as I prepare to compete at Primal Quest '06

Monday, May 29, 2006

guts n' glory race report

The Guts n' Glory is known as a difficult race. It's a long course, 22 miles of mostly singletrack. The course is two loops, passing through the pits at the half way mark to make a sort of figure eight. The upper (second loop) has more climbing and is a bit more technical. You can choose to stop at the pit every half lap if you're riding solo, or you can just keep trucking for the 22 miles.

I got to the race venue on Saturday night and found the usual suspects. The race is actually an all weekend event, with bands and kegs on both Saturday and Sunday nights. We stayed up and chatted for awhile while keeping our eye on the approaching lightening before going to sleep. It did rain a bit in the night, but I was seriously cozy in the Esper-mobile.

Sunday morning, the race started pretty casually at 8 am. This is a low key event. You sign yourself in and out on the time sheet, and you can start and stop whenever you want. Many people just do a lap or two, and there are a few handful who keep riding around and around.

My first lap felt great. It was cool-ish, and I was just doing my thing. My thing being to pay some attention to my heart rate and try to keep it in the right zone for a long ride. It's always high on the first lap, so I give myself a bit of leeway. The course was slightly damp, so some of the rocks were a bit slick, but I was happy with the lap, knowing that I would clean the few places I walked when it dried out a bit. I came through after my first lap, refilled my bottle and headed back out.

Lap 2 was great. I was riding faster, my heart rate was lower, and it was fun fun fun. Until I flatted on the back half. Oops. After that I slowed down a bit for fear of flatting a second time and being stuck without a tube. The problem with a long lap and not a huge number of riders is that you could be waiting awhile for help. At the same time, you also know that if you need help someone will stop. But I didn't flat again, and finished my second lap feeling good. It was still cloudy and there was a nice breeze.

Lap three was uneventful. As in, I don't remember any of it except thinking that I would have time to do five laps and that sounded alright.

Lap four sucked. The first half seemed to go forever. I didn't see anyone on the trail. It was hot. I was bored. boohoohoo. I came in at the half to fill up on food and drink and to see what was happening in the standings. There was a guy ahead of me finishing his 4th lap, and I was in second overall. Alright, may as well finish the fourth lap and see how I feel. The second half was better, but still getting boring.

I came into the pit after lap 4 and I had plenty of time to do a 5th before it got dark. But they told me that it was totally unnecessary and wouldn't change the standings at all. Well, that's not very motivating, is it? And I could have a hot shower and a hot meal instead. hmmm. So, I hung around for awhile and then packed it in. I ended up doing 4 laps, 88 miles, got 2nd over all (1st place woman) and had a hot shower and some great chicken enchiladas.

Kyle and Dave put on a great event. There was tonnes of swag from sponsors, and it was just a great time. Thanks to everyone who helped make it a great weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home