what am I thinking?!??!

my preparations and thoughts as I prepare to compete at Primal Quest '06

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

the little voice in my head needs to shut up

We all have little voices in our head that tell us things. Things like 'He's cute, but he would never like me', 'I'm too old to do that', 'But I don't know how', 'I really shouldn't eat this cookie', 'Educated people don't use those kind of words' or 'When I have more money...'. The voice in my head commonly says 'I'm not good enough', or some variation of that. The voice usually sounds like it's speaking the truth. But have you ever thought about what other people would think if they heard your little voice? They would probably think it was ridiculous.

My little voice often says, in a variation, 'I'm not fit enough'. When I told Sheryl and Marlene about this voice's comments, they looked at me like I had two heads. Yep, it's competely ridiculous. Fit enough for what? If I'm not fit enough, is anyone fit enough?

This came up again on Sunday, when I realized that I am critical of myself because I somehow think that I don't look like someone who does PQ. That I don't have the right body type. I told Marlene this, and again the voice of reason rang out. 'What does someone who does PQ look like then? What should you look like?'

'Taller?'

2 Comments:

  • At 8:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually, I laughed out loud when you told me you weren’t fit enough!

     
  • At 7:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beth, I'm loving your blog!!
    You are absolutely right about the 'little voice' we all have - so good you have the sorts of friends who can
    laugh at you, and with you because they know you and share you dreams. This training process will be just as valuable for you as the event. I'm in it with you! j

     

Post a Comment

<< Home