what am I thinking?!??!

my preparations and thoughts as I prepare to compete at Primal Quest '06

Sunday, April 30, 2006

packing, planning and panic

I've gotten most of my packing done for the race this week. I leave on Tuesday to pick up Ernie and Charlie at the airport in Dallas before heading up to Haskell. There are a few things left to pack, like shoes (better not forget those!) but most things are in. I am trying to figure out what clothes to take. The short crisis has left me in a bit of a spot (a chafed spot, to be exact). I was hoping some other shorts would arrive on Friday, but it looks like I won't get them until tomorrow, not leaving enough time to really try them out. It's risky to race in brand new shorts, but I guess I'll risk it. Don't worry, I'll report back.

It's hard to figure out how to handle the clothes. This is a 72 hr race, as long as the first leg of PQ might take. During a leg at PQ, we don't be changing clothes, but this isn't PQ. hem ha. I'll probably take a few extra pieces of clothing and see how it goes. Boy, this adventure racing thing is complicated.

The panic was when, yesterday, transportation was up in the air. I need to take three bikes, three people, two scooters and gear from Dallas to Haskell. We own a Honda Civic. So, you see the problem. I was hoping to use Howard's Jeep, which has been for sale for 6-8 months and is an extra vehicle for them. Yesterday I found out that there is a potential buyer and the Jeep might not be available. Yikes. But, as it turns out, the panic was not necessary. Although someone is buying the Jeep, they aren't taking possession of it until the Tuesday after the race. Phew.

Here is a picture of Marlene from the third night of last year's Haskell race. It's one of my favourites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home